Who we help

For Individuals 

Humanitarian Statuses



Special Immigrant Juvenile Status

If you are in the United States and need the protection of a court because you have been abused, abandoned or neglected by a parent, you may be eligible for this classification. If SIJS classification is granted, you may qualify for permanent residency (green card).

The basic requirements are:

  • that you are under 21 at the time of filing the petition,
  • currently live in the U.S.,
  • be unmarried,
  • have a valid state court order for custody, guardianship, or child protection that states you cannot be reunited with one or both parents because of abuse, neglect, abandonment, or a similar basis,
  • and it is not in your best interests to return to the country of nationality or last habitual residence of you or your parents.

Some courts will issue these orders even after you are 18 years old. However, if your state does not, the court must have issued the order before you were 18 years old with very limited exceptions.